Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes (for Dinner)

Mmmmm. I was never a fan of pancakes, but I love these ones! I get Bob's Red Mill Pancake Mix, which is usually in the health food section and make it according to the package instructions. Now there are a few options here, and you can do whichever you want. I've tried them all and they're all good!
First off is to buy a can of blueberries - OR - a can of blueberry pie filling - I found that the Comstock brand is GF. After you've mixed the pancake batter together, drain blueberry juice (if you bought just plain blueberries in a can) into a small pot and then put as many blueberries as you'd like to the pancake mix. We love l0ts and lots of blueberries! Yum! Now, when I cook the pancakes, I usually use a large spoon and flatten/spread out the batter to make it almost like a crepe. However, you can just make regular pancakes, they both work!
While you are cooking your pancakes, you can start on the syrup. Add as much pure maple syrup to the blueberry juice as you'd like to, and then heat it up. It's delicious. If you have the pie filling, you can just heat up a bunch of the filling, and you can add maple syrup to it as well if you want to.
Whether or not you use the blueberries, here are a couple more things you can do for syrup that I really enjoy. The first one is actually found on the back of the pancake mix I mentioned above. It's at the very bottom and it's made of just cinnamon and butter and sugar. Sounds weird, but it's the most delectable thing you've ever tasted! Especially if you do it right. Just a hint, when it says to soften butter-soften it, don't melt it!
The second one your can do with any kind of jam/jelly you prefer. Just scoop a couple of large spoonfuls into a small pot and add enough water and/or maple syrup to make it a thick syrup. Heat it up, and Ta Da! You have syrup!
I always make eggs, and bacon or sausage - or corned beef with the pancakes! Mmmmm.
Hope this all makes sense, I just typed this up at the last minute between my baby's bath and dinner, so, if you have any questions, feel free to email me! Thanks! I hope you enjoy it!

No comments: